Monday, February 7, 2011

How The Web May Help Save Your Life

     I'm currently working as an MSW Intern at Missouri Cancer Associates, and I'm learning all kinds of fabulous things I didn't know before! I'm especially excited by the idea of social networking sites to promote healing. Many cancer patients struggle to manage the overwhelming amount of social support they receive from friends and family. 
     For those who aren't familiar with chemotherapy and radiation, these aggressive therapies most often leave patients tired or exhausted. Rest is a key element of healing, and many patients feel guilty "ignoring" the calls of friends and family. 
     Sites like Caring Bridge, Care Pages, and My Life Line allow patients and their families to keep everyone up to date at the same time. The sites are essentially blog/facebook/planner. Friends and family can follow patients on the site, and they'll receive e-mail notifications each time a post has been added. Social supporters can leave caring messages of hope and encouragement for the patient to read at their leisure. My Life Line even has a calendar where friends and family can coordinate efforts to drive the patient to treatments, make them dinner, take them out, etc. Just one more way technology is making life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment