Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lock O' The Irish

     I have to admit, I'm an ignorant Irish woman. Therefore, I feel the need to share this information with all my ignorant counterparts.


     "Luck O The Irish" is actually an ironic phrase. The Irish have been, and are, a spectacularly unlucky race. The "luck of the Irish" is BAD luck. The original and proper use of this irony goes clear back to the Old Country and migrated to America early on. Nowadays many speakers and writers misuse the phrase to imply GOOD luck.



     Luck of the Irish owes its origin to the U.S.A. When they arrived, the Irish were very disliked, treated badly, despised and hated. When the Irish had any kind of success most Americans at the time didn't think they were capable of such successes, so they called it luck. Hence the term "Luck of the Irish."


     Now go forth my unlucky leprechauns & grab some hooch!!!!


Happy St. Patrick's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment